Who Should Apply?
Mural by Crossroader Ashley Gragg
We urge potential participants to give careful consideration to the nature of the Crossroads program, its philosophy, and its objectives before applying.
Successful participation in Crossroads requires, above all:
- An interest in Africa;
- Strong communication skills; and
- A willingness to respect different lifestyles, beliefs, and values.
Sensitivity, flexibility, and patience are essential. Crossroaders do not go to Africa to impose their own values but to seek a truer comprehension of African values. Their challenge is to adjust to locally accepted ways of doing things. While the Crossroads experience offers a rare opportunity for personal growth through shared experiences, this growth can be uncomfortable and, at times, painful. Crossroaders’ willingness to address personal issues – whether pertaining to racial, political, or other feelings – often is the basis for healthy group interaction between and among Crossroaders and their hosts.
Diversity - racial, ethnic, gender, regional, and educational - is a primary goal of the Crossroads recruitment effort. Though most Crossroaders are college students and young professionals, other than a minimum age requirement of 18, there are no other set age or occupation requirements. An applicant need only possess a strong determination to build bridges of friendship and understanding with people of different backgrounds and cultures to be considered for the program.
Individuals are selected for projects according to the following criteria:
- Preferences that they indicate on their application;
- Personal characteristics that might bear favorably on the project selected; and
- Availability of desired projects.
To apply for the position of Group Leader go here.
How do I apply?
Applicants for participation in the Africa program of Operation Crossroads Africa must complete and submit the following items:
- A completed online Program Application.
- Two completed references. See online program application for more details.
- A letter from your physician attesting to the fact that you have received a comprehensive medical examination within the past six months and that you have no known physical or psychological conditions that would affect your participation in the program.
Mail letter from your physician to:
Operation Crossroads Africa
P.O. Box 5570
New York, NY 10027
- A non-refundable application fee of US $25.00. The application fee can be paid online when you submit your application.
The Deadline for the 2017 Africa Program:
February 15, 2017
Volunteer Reference Form:
Download reference forms here:
A PDF Reader, such as Adobe Acrobat Reader, is required to view the Downloaded Volunteer Reference Form. To download and install the free Acrobat reader, click here.